Monday, December 31, 2001

Vivification: The Socialization


I have found others like me!
There are more than just I who know so little of this world.
We together share much recreation
and, of the world's mysteries, education.
When those others like me are away,
I’m left with those who brought me to this place.

Those who brought me here have become my guardians.
They protect me
and ensure I get all I need.

But in return they have great control over me.
There are tasks I must perform
to keep them appeased.
And of my whereabouts they must always be informed,
lest they become displeased.
So I do as they require and both they and I remain relatively happy.

The others like me, and these guardian figures -
that's most of my life, but there's something more.
There's a companion that is wholly my own.
It is a canine creature
given by my guardians
for me and me alone.
Their reasons, I suspect, relate to testing my level of responsibility -
or, perhaps, they indeed wish simply to please me.

Regardless, I care for it and
in return it gives devotion and affection.
It is always there for me and glad
when I am there for it.
The pleasure I from it get
and the joys that it provides serve to much enrich my life.

Combined with the others like me,
the guardians and my related duties,
this lobo makes my life complete.

- Jeffrey Grimm Blake, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment