Monday, December 31, 2001

Vivification: The End


My body has become like an aged machine:
it struggles onward as I push it to
meet with my daily requirements.
I remember days, I think, when I was younger
and it took so much to push me to my limit.
Now, just a short walk does it.

I fear too that like the driving force of
an old machine – the engine –
my mind, the driving force of me,
is starting to give in.
In my youth, I was sure I was memorious.
Now my memories clash with each other so often
that I nearly never place much trust in them.

I am ready to go
– to leave this world –
I think.
Certainly, I know,
I am on the brink.

In those I leave behind, I will live on.
But my children’s children’s children, I’ll miss when I’m gone.
In those of family – even those yet to come –
I glean all of my joy these days.
But to my great despondency,
they are nearly always away.

With so much physical pain
and my only source of joy away,
I reach a place where I can know
most unequivocally that I am ready to go.
I will soon move on, into what comes next –
I believe a rejoining with God,
with Her, and all that is.
From Death’s sweet kiss,
I will enter the escape pod and
leave this world to rejoin the place best.
I’ll reenter Heaven – the world before this.

I’ve done all I needed here,
so now I will move on.
I know this as I begin
to see that I am infinitely near
the end.
Of here.

- Jeffrey Grimm Blake, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment