Monday, December 31, 2001

Vivification: The Loss


New is gone.
Brand-new has come.
I smile sometimes when I think
of how life’s cycle continues on.

Visits come sometimes, from New,
and, usually, Brand-new comes too.
Those moments are joyous,
but they are far too few.

When left without them, only pain do I feel.
In those times, the loss becomes too real.
She was supposed to outlive me!
Why not I? Why did She have to go?

For whatever reason,
the result is certain:
it seems for every season
one constant will remain:
again
alone.

Sometimes I think it’s too much to take.
Sometimes I can actually feel myself break.
It’s a wonder that from my tears
has not there formed a sixth great lake.

Without her, there is only me;
no warmth, no arms of safety;
no canine companion, no additions making me complete;
not even bits of confusion mixing
happiness with a loss of identity.
There is only me
and sadness.

When I lost Her,
I lost all of my gladness.

I fear it may ultimately drive me to madness.

- Jeffrey Grimm Blake, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment